Saturday, December 8, 2012

La belle vue de Paris


Meet Mark and Christy...


Christy attended and played volleyball at Master's. 
Soon after graduating and getting married, she and her husband, Marc, moved to Melun, France where she now coaches and plays volleyball professionally while Marc coaches basketball.

Ryan had a game in Paris this past weekend so I decided to leave a little early and spend a few days with Marc and Christy.  
I had been anticipating this trip for quite some time because I was excited to explore Paris again. This time through "adult" eyes and a deeper appreciation. The last time I was in Paris I was 8 years old. My only memory is a distant one; buying a postcard at the top of the Eiffel Tower. At that age my only concern in Paris was holding my parents' hands so I wouldn't get lost or causing some sort of trouble with my brothers. 

So Thursday afternoon I hopped on a train to Paris. This time around I was determined to soak it all in. I couldn't have asked for a better tour guide either. Christy knew that city backwards and forwards while pulling out facts like she was Rick Steves.

There are so many wonderful things in Paris I wasn't even sure what to take pictures of. It truly is a magical and romantic city. I look forward to going back soon!
Here are just a few of my favorite moments captured from the weekend.

The Eiffel Tower from atop the Montparnasse Tower.  Perfect views of the whole city. Unfortunately, night time pictures aren't my specialty but I tried to capture the city as best as I could.





The Basilique du Sacre-Coeur. Inside is filled with beautiful and intricate mosaics. Even though it was a foggy day the views from the Basilique were still spectacular.




 French artists

 






 Angelina's. Quite possibly the sweetest, most delicious cup of hot chocolate I have ever tasted.



No Parisian trip is complete without a stroll down the Champs Elysees. 

 





The Christmas Markets were in full swing





 I don't find macaroons very delightful but they make pretty displays.


 
 


We couldn't help ourselves, we had to have these loaded lovelies.






Musee d'Orsay. The old train station in Paris turned into a museum.




Saturday night we planed to meet up with Ryan at his game. Christy and I had just spent the day walking around Paris. The gym was surrounded by forest (what seemed like the middle of nowhere), the night was approaching, it was getting colder, and we weren't exactly sure where we were going.  Needless to say, a few trains, buses and taxis later we made it at the half. We were quite proud. Not only that we FINALLY made it, but also that our unfinished cone of churros survived the trek, leaving us with a nice halftime snack.


This was Ryan's first time experiencing Paris and that Sunday was a big day. Free museum day. We woke up at the crack of dawn as to not be late for the opening of the Louvre, Notre Dame and St. Chapelle Cathedral.

Our first stop: 
St. Chapelle

Known for its' beautiful stain glass windows.






Second stop: 
Notre Dame
A service was going on, but they still allow tourists to roam and take pictures.











Third stop:
The Louvre
The line "marker" marked an 1 hour wait. Thankfully it only took us about 10 minutes to stroll right in.








I inched my way up this...



so I could get a good picture of this... 




There is sooo much to see and you could definitely get lost in this place. It's huge.



 From the Louvre we walked down the Champs Elysees and through the Christmas Markets. 


That night we met up with Marc and Christy to see the Eiffel Tower one last time before we headed home.




My best attempt at getting one of the four of us...

 





...had to get a quick photo with Fifille too :)...
(the beginning of my 25th week)


No comments:

Post a Comment